2019 Lower Merion Township Cardboard Boat Regatta at Belmont Hills Pool, Sunday August 4th.
Gather your material, rally the troops and start building your boat.
Some will sink and others will float, that’s the fun of a cardboard boat.
3:00pm Check In Time, Races to Follow.
Rain or Shine event!
Pre-registration is required!
Registration deadline is Thursday, August 1st!
Please review ALL rules and regulations (link below) before registering.
Boat Design and Construction
- Design is left to builder(s)—let your imagination be your limit!
- Boats must be constructed before the event.
- The ENTIRE boat must be built with cardboard and duct tape. (Corrugated cardboard, carpet tubes, cardboard blocks can be found at recycling centers, appliance stores, department stores, discount clubs, and electronic stores.)
- Guppies—For parents who desire to compete with their kids. (Parents can be in the boat or swimming next to it - Crew CANNOT pull or push the boat, unless it sinks.)
- Dolphins—For kids 17 and under. No parents allowed! (Crew CANNOT pull the boat, push it, use their legs to propel or swim next to it, unless it sinks.)
- Whales— For all individuals of any age. (Crew CANNOT pull the boat, push it, use their legs to propel or swim next to it, unless it sinks.)
- Boats shall be designed to race with a maximum of a two person crew.
- The race must begin and end with the crew intact.
- Crew members may help push the boat away from the pool deck at the beginning of the race.
- Each boat will travel 2 lengths of the pool.
- Heats will consist of a maximum of 5 boats.
- Winners from heats will determine the placement for finals; the first place finishers from each heat will race for the Fastest Boat overall (each division ran separately).
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place finish for each Division.
- Spirit Award. Will be awarded to the boat and crew. Boats will be judged on their design and creativity.
- The Titanic Award. Will be awarded to the team of the boat that sinks in the most spectacular fashion.